When considering a fence installation in Livingston, one may apply for a fence permit(application provided below). Also to be informed of what fences the town allows we have provided the official fence codes(also below). Whether you are installing a fence for your dog, to secure your children, a deer protection fence or a pool fence, it is best to contact the Town Building or Zoning Department to discuss your proposed fence project and to determine your best course of action. We at Academy Fence Company have been installing fence, as a leading service contractor, since the 1960’s. Anytime you see our signature sign upon a fence you can be assured it was well planned out and provides many years of beauty and security. See pictures of our work throughout Livingston below. Also here you will find various bits of helpful information to guide you on your fence project, such as property surveys, home owner and contractor responsibilities, insurance and how to choose the most suitable fence. Good Luck!
A zoning permit is required in Livingston for the erection of a fence.
Livingston Fence Codes (170-91)
In all residence districts:
(8) Every fence that has only one finished side shall have that side facing away from the property that is fenced.
(11) Every fence shall be maintained in safe, sound and upright condition and in good appearance. Every planting required by this section shall be maintained in good condition and pruned so as not to intrude upon any sidewalk, right-of-way or easement. Any required plantings that die shall be replaced with healthy plantings of the same size as originally required.
(12) No retaining wall may be erected, installed or enlarged in lieu of a fence not permitted under this § 170-91.
(18) No fence visible from a street or roadway right-of-way or abutting another property shall be erected or enlarged on the property of a nonconforming or conditional use in a residence district without application to, and approval of, the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Adjustment, as appropriate.
(20) Swimming pool fences must be maintained in compliance with the Zoning and Building Code requirements.
(21) If a fence or wall is constructed on a berm, then the height of the berm is included in the total height of the fence. Berm height is measured from the natural/existing grade.
(22) All fences separating adjacent residential properties must be installed not less than six inches from the property line. However, if adjacent property owners want to share a fence on the property line, they shall submit a joint notarized letter to the Construction Official stating they have agreed to such installation and setting forth their agreement as to maintenance and repair of the fence; provided, that if the fence is intended for protection of a swimming pool the maintenance and repair of the fence shall be the responsibility of the owner of the property with the pool.
(23) Fence color, other as permitted in Subsection B(9) above, shall be earth tones, green, black, grey, white or muted colors. Bright or reflective colors shall not be used.
(24) No fence post may be installed on an easement. Any fence that crosses or abuts an easement shall have a gate to allow access to the easement.
C. Nonresidential districts. In nonresidential districts no fence or retaining wall shall be erected or enlarged without application to, and approval by, the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Adjustment, as appropriate, except for an area for outdoor seating for consumption of food or beverages established under a permit issued pursuant to § 170-92.1.
D. Enforcement. This § 170-91 shall be enforced as follows:
357 S. Livingston Ave Livingston, NJ 07039
Inspection Line: 973-535-7953
General Questions: 973-535-7957, option 4
General Email: email@example.com