Any fence installation in North Caldwell requires a Building Permit (application provided below). The normal fence height restriction is 5 ft high with the exception of a Deer Fence in which case an 8 foot height is permitted. The Borough offers Official Fence Codes (provided below). Contact the town with any specific questions such pool fences, corner lots, etc. and to assess if your fence project will be approved. We have been a leading fence service contractor in North Caldwell since the 1960’s where we have proudly installed numerous residential fences of all types and styles. Take notice, when a fence has a signature “Academy Fence” sign, you will see it is well planned, structurally sound, and provides many years of beauty and purpose. See pictures of completed fence jobs in North Caldwell below.
Fences and retaining walls, Deer Fencing.
(1) In all residential districts, no fence, partition, screen, structure, wall or other device used as a fence, as herein defined, shall be erected, constructed or installed which is over five (5) feet in height.
(2) All finished fences shall be installed so that the finished surface shall face away from the lot of the property owner installing same.
(3) Fences shall only be of one color.
(4) … are tiered with a minimum horizontal distance of four (4) feet between the face of the lower wall and the base of the higher wall.
(5) The maximum height of a retaining wall in the front yard and side yard that is essentially perpendicular to the street, i.e., a retaining wall constructed for purposes of stabilizing a driveway cut, shall be six (6) feet up to the line of the building envelope. No height limitation is established for retaining walls within the building envelope.
(6) The maximum height of a retaining wall in the rear yard shall be five (5) feet. Additional retaining walls of a height no greater than five (5) feet may be erected in the rear yard so long as such walls are tiered with a minimum horizontal distance of four (4) feet between the face of the lower wall and the base of the higher wall.
(7) Any fence placed on the top of a retaining wall shall be set back four (4) feet from the face of the retaining wall measured horizontally.
(8) Any retaining wall over three (3) feet in height must be designed by a licensed professional engineer.
(9) All existing retaining walls which do not conform to the provisions of this section may be continued as they presently exist and may be repaired or replaced to the same or lesser dimensions, line and grade.
Borough of North Caldwell NJ
Building and Zoning
141 Gould Ave
North Caldwell, New Jersey 07006
Normal Operating Hours
Mon – Fri 8:30 – 4:30