In Chatham Borough, no fence shall be installed without a construction permit. Inquiries concerning fencing and for zoning permits are handled by the Chatham Borough Engineer’s office. We have provided some vital information regarding the codes(below) and the fence permit application(below). We at Academy Fence have been a fence service contractor professionally installing fence in Chatham Borough since the 1960’s. See Photos of completed jobs below. Feel free to contact us to speak with an experienced fence industry expert to receive an installation price quote or a material estimate.
A. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, all permitted fences shall conform to the following standards:
(1) If located anywhere in the exterior side yard of a corner lot or the front yard of any lot, the height of the fence shall not exceed four feet, and such fence shall be so constructed that at least 50% thereof is open.
(2) If located in, along, adjacent to or parallel with an interior side line of a corner lot or on either side line of any other lot or in any other portion of the rear yard, and in all cases to the rear of the front foundation line of the dwelling or structure erected upon said lot the height of the fence shall not exceed five feet.
(3) If located along the rear property line which is also the rear property line of the abutting property, a fence may be constructed to a height of not in excess of six feet. If located along a rear property line which is also the side property line of the abutting property, a fence may be constructed to a height of not in excess of five feet.
(4) Within the entire side and front yards, up to the property lines, of lots in the M-1, M-2 and M-3 Industrial Districts, chain link fences of a height no greater than six feet are allowed, unless the fence would run along, adjacent to or parallel with any property line which abuts a residential zoning district or a lot containing an existing residential use, in which case the other appropriate provisions of this section would apply.
(5) All fences shall be symmetrical in appearance, posts separated by identical distances and constructed of fencing material conforming to a definite pattern or size, and so constructed that the more finished side of the fence shall be facing away from the owners of property.
(6) No fence shall be constructed of masonry material, barbed wire or any other material harmful to humans or animals, or of odd-sized material of varying width, thickness or length.
(7) The height of a fence shall be determined by measuring from the lowest point on the undisturbed ground under the fence.
(8) No fence shall be erected without a construction permit. In considering applications for the erection of a fence, the Construction Official may require a survey showing the proposed location of the fence with respect to the existing property lines.
Borough of Chatham
54 Fairmount Avenue,
Chatham, NJ 07928
Fax: (973) 635-5507
Hours: 8am to 4pm M-F
Borough Engineer and Zoning Official